Hello Everyone!
We have received lots of emails and comments on our posting from yesterday and they have all been so beautiful! Thank you so much for thinking of us, sending us your good vibes, and being just as emotional! Jakob has the biggest fan club in the world!
We had another great day with Jakob (Mian as we call him here since that is all he knows)!
Before going to the orphanage, we had to go to a government office to fill out some paperwork (one very important document we signed was the one saying that we want to proceed and adopt him as our son)! We also met 3 other families adopting through our agency (2 of them are back for their 2nd child), so it was nice to meet all of them and hear their stories.
We then headed to the orphanage and got about a 30-40 minute visit with him before he had to head off to his nap (they have to keep on their schedule)! When he walked in to see us, you could tell that he recognized us from yesterday. I called his name and held out my arms and he came straight to me and gave me a hug and let me hold him. The caregiver seemed very happy to see that...she is really sweet and so good with Jakob. She has also started referring to us as "Mama" and "Papa" when she talks to Jakob about us and has pointed out that she thinks Mian and I have the same face. We were in a different room than the day before (much larger), so he spent a bit of time looking around that and acting a bit shy. Tickling always seems to do the trick.
After our morning visit, the driver took us to a place to get lunch and then over to Victory Park (memorial and museum to celebrate the Russians winning WWII...along with all the other allies who think they won it by themselves as well...ha ha). We then went back around 4:30 for about a 90 minute visit before heading to meeting up with an Accenture colleague and his wife for dinner.
A few more things we learned / noticed today about him...
- He loves things with handles so he can carry it around...it appears to make him feel important to be lugging something around! He would carry around the box that had shapes in it, the photo book we had for him with a handle, or a Leap Frog ABC radio with a handle on it....so funny!
- He loves music! Yesterday he loved playing with a xylophone. Today it was a tambourine and also a music microphone. He typically has one music instrument in one hand and toy with a handle in the other.
- He loves NutriGrain bars! We decided to try out a strawberry NutriGrain bar with him today. Wayne broke off little pieces and he would suck on it for a bit, swallow it, and then look at Wayne with his big brown eyes as if to say, "I'm ready for my next bite..." Wayne gave him about 1/2 in the morning. When he saw Wayne put the other half away, he looked down at the table and started picking up the crumbs on the table and eating them...poor thing!
- He has already started playing "association games" with us. On the first day, he would push the Eeyore character on the Winnie the Pooh music book and Wayne would do a little dance with his upper body. Today, he kept pressing that one button over and over again and would look at Wayne every time to see him do the dance. Wayne has already started something he wished he hadn't... He associates me with cuddling and likes to sit in my lap (same association the beagles have with me...which is fine by me as I don't have to do a retarded dance each time....ha ha)!
- He loves to point out his shoes. We think maybe he does not wear them that often, so when he does have them on...he is very proud.
- When he is ready to move on to something different or is thinking...he uses both hands and taps all of his fingers (either on the table or on his stomach)...it looks like such an "old man" thing to do and is so funny to see a little kid doing it. Sometimes he seems like such an old soul to me.
- And as most 2 year olds do...he likes to play hide and seek as well as chase.
- And as most boys do...he likes to bang on things. I think we'll have to get him a little tool box to carry around with some things he can bang on...maybe that will help keep the beagles quiet!
- Most importantly...we noticed a huge difference in his interactions with us! Yesterday, we never saw his teeth as he would grin but not fully smile. Today, he was all teeth...huge smiles and laughing!
Well, I know this is a long posting and I appreciate those who made it this far in the post!
Tomorrow will be our last 2 visits with him before we head out on Thursday (sniff sniff). I have to honestly say that is will be hard...but now that I've seen the pristinely clean orphange and the amazing staff there...and especially how he lights up when he sees the women who have raised him thus far...I feel like he WILL be ok until we are able to return. He is in good hands...physcially and spiritually!
Lastly - our agency rep has said that she is trying to set our court dates this week and thinks we will likely return the very last week of January for court. It would be great if it happens then as his 2nd birthday is January 30 and it would be great to do a little party with him at the orphanage!
We're off to bed now, but we will post more tomorrow!
Love to all - Courtney, Wayne and Jakob!
P.S. Catherine - please kiss the beagles for me...not cheating...I mean on the mouth :)
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I've just shown your blog to some of the girls at playgroup and there were a few teary eyes. I didn't want to say before but I was telling Martin that Mian takes after you, Courtney! You have the same shaped face and nose. Sorry Wayne - but let's face it, we all know he's going to completely idolise you like everybody else's kids do so it's only fair that Courtney has at least that. By the way, please do not ever apologise about a long blog - we all cannot get enough of what you are experiencing with Mian. I feel like saying, "Can you send some more photos/video/details" but I don't want to sound selfish. It is really quite incredible that he has taken to you both so quickly and how beautiful that the staff there are calling you mama and papa. We're sure Mian is very excited about what is about to happen in his life. They sound like really caring people who look after him, and they know how to get him ready to go to his new family. Now we are all praying that everything from this point onward goes smoothly. End of Jan. yay.
ps. Catherine - eww! don't do it!
Dearest Courtney and Wayne,
Another great day for you with your son! Autry Girl was hoping for video footage of Wayne's special "dance!" As Larry can tell you, it is true that you have to be careful what gimmicks you offer your child. Autry loved a crazy voice he gave her beloved childhood puppet, P.P. Once that wacky looking critter came to life, he had to accompany us EVERYWHERE! Larry was always such a good sport about it but would later quietly complain of a sore throat, and achy wrist... a/k/a "Carpal Puppet Syndrome!"
As far as facial features go, we're seeing that Jakob favors both of you! We see a similarity to Courtney in the eyes, and a similarity to Wayne in the mouth, especially when Jakob is looking thoughtful and/or serious. You make a great threesome. As MaMaw Lou would say, "There's not an ugly one in the bunch!" Please be sure to give Jakob's Orphanage Angels a grateful hug from us. They're caring for precious cargo, and it is greatly appreciated!
Sending You Lots of Love,
Christi, Larry, and Autry Girl
I started checking Jakob's Page at 9:30 a.m. this morning and checked it every half hour until I had to leave for a hearing at 11:30 a.m., so can you tell that I was anxious for some more photos and news? It is amazing how much more relaxed he seems with you today - that is so great!! I thought to myself yesterday when I saw the photo of you an Mian that he actually resembled you, Courtney, but didn't say anything because I thought maybe it was just me. But now that several other people have seen the same thing, maybe I'm not crazy after all (no comment, Wayne). What memories you have already created with Mian (Jakob) in just two days (with another day still to go). At least maybe those will carry you until you see him again, and also the comforting thought that he is being well taken care of. I can't wait until I meet him in person!! I love you all very much and can't wait for the next update, photos, and videos.
Mom/Pam
Us, again...
We were just reviewing the two most recent videos. After seeing the first video of Jakob, standing in the tiny little box, Autry said,"Yeah, they're really gonna like this kid!"
Cute comment, huh?!
Love,
Chris
I forgot to ask if you have handed out the PJs & socks you took over to Russia for the other kids, and have you given Jakob his sweatshirt with your picture on it? Just curious.
Wayne, we will all be expecting you to show us your little dance.
I love the picture of the three of you, and of course, "Jakob in the Box" instead of Jack in the Box!
Love you, Mom/Pam
We have seen your photos and videos, they were so beautiful, you all looked so happy.
Lots of love to the three of you
Auntie Jan & Uncle Paul xxx
Post a Comment